I am a feminist (and not just because girls love the shirt)
feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
feminist: an individual that supports feminism.
Feminists believe that women shouldn't be treated as inferior members of society. Though the American public by and large supports the ideals of the feminist movement, the word "feminist" has been maligned over the past couple of decades. Feminists, despite their noble goals haven't been the best at managing their public image.
I feel that feminism has been unfairly and innacurately portrayed as a "radical fringe movement" and I created the feminist shirt specifically to counter the stereotype of feminists as a group of "militant, extremist man haters". Such a label innacurately ignores the myriad groups of people that advocate on behalf of feminist principles. I created the "feminist" shirt for guys in order to challenge and alter this stereotype. I am currently only making the shirts for guys simply because I believe that we will be most effective in countering this stereotype if we add males to the public face of the feminist movement. I will eventually be making shirts for women as well, but if there are members of the fairer sex that like to purchase baby doll style "feminist" shirts sooner rather than later, please contact me and express your interest. If there is a large enough response, I will move up the release date for the women's shirts.
MJ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home